The New York Times Logo – The New York Times is a newspaper published in the city of New York by Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr., which is distributed in the United States and many other countries. It is owned by The New York Times Company, which also owns 40 other publications including the International Herald Tribune and the Boston Globe. The newspaper is affectionately called the “Gray Lady” and is considered by many the quintessential newspaper of the United States.
The New York Times was founded on September 18 of 1851 by Henry Jarvis Raymond and George Jones. Raymond was also founding director of the AP in 1856. Adolph Ochs bought the Times in 1896 and under his direction, became internationally renowned. In 1897 he devised the motto of the newspaper, “All The News That’s Fit To Print” (“All the news unfit for publication”), which is often interpreted as an attack on their competitors Yorkers (the New York World and the New York Journal America) known for its sensationalism. After the newspaper’s headquarters moved to a new tower on 42nd Street, the area was renamed Times Square in 1904. Nine years later, the Times opened an annex at 229 43rd Street, its current headquarters, finally selling Times Tower in 1961.
The Times originally published every morning except Sunday. Later, during the Civil War, the Times began publishing Sunday editions. He won his first Pulitzer for stories and articles about the First World War in 1918. In 1919 he made his first trans-Atlantic delivery to London.
The crossword began appearing in 1942 as a section, and the newspaper bought classical station WQXR in the same year. The fashion section was added in 1946. The Times also started an international edition in 1946, but stopped publishing in 1967. He joined the owners of the New York Herald Tribune and the Washington Post to publish the International Herald Tribune in Paris. The Section Op-Ed began appearing in 1970. In 1996, the New York Times created its website. Readers around the world would have thus access to the paper (www.nytimes.com). The new headquarters for the newspaper, a skyscraper designed by Renzo Piano, is at the intersection of 41st Street and Eighth Avenue in Manhattan and was opened in late 2007.